Thursday, July 12, 2007

If We All Have The Same Idea...

... maybe it's a good one! I suggested not long ago that Ayaan Hirsi Ali's proposal that girls from at risk areas be screened annually for FGM - in order to bring to justice those who abuse their daughters in this way - might be a good one. One that could actually have a major impact on the problem. There is now a very interesting interview up on the BBC with Waris Dirie, the model who experienced one of the harsher forms of it as a child (having her clitoris removed and genitals sewn up). Her suggestion? "Schoolgirls need to be checked after the holidays."

1 comment:

Kenny said...

I cannot, for the life of me, get my head around the (il)logic behind this. It's not just barbaric. I can't even come up with a phrase that would do it justice. What a world.

For once in my life, I'm speechless yet still rendered sicker than a dog. Reading about things like that literally makes me want to vomit. I have the same feelings about circumcision -- what the hell are these people thinking at all (if they even do think)?

Have we got to the point that those "with" and those "without" in the IQ, empathy and equality departments are so far apart? If so, it's a bloody sad state of affairs.